Tuesday 24 February 2015

Backing away-somewhat-from self-styled "Traditionalists"

The post below, showing the difficulty of telling the truth in the Church (that is the truth told by Fr. Angelo of the Friars of The Immaculate) and the refusal of some to accept the truth (because they believe so strongly in their own myths) points to a worsening crisis in the Catholic world. It is not a new crisis; it was already there but has now become more visible since the election of Pope Francis. One of the phrases that springs to mind is from the play "I. Claudius" - "Let all the poisons that are lurking in the mud hatch out". Perhaps Pope Francis has disturbed the "water" and the mud is rising to the surface. This is for the good of the Church. Many so-called "Traditionalists" are now seen in their true colours.

Because I am often regarded as a "Traditionalist" and because I support the Pope 100%, I am more conscious of the need to distance myself from some people, some blogs and some web sites. I am, in fact, not a "Traditionalist" but a Catholic and, I hope, an orthodox one. I celebrate the 1962 Latin Mass twice a month, but I f I really thought that by doing that I was going to be forever linked with what I now regard as a "lunatic fringe" (sadly not so much a fringe), I would stop. The Liturgy is not a political tool and should not be the cause of,  or be even connected to, bitterness, injustice, lies, insults and rash judgement. Those who surround the Liturgy with these things are, in my opinion, heading downwards.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent observation Fr Abberton.
    This lunatic fringe is encouraged by certain journalists. They then use social media to damage careers and reputations.
    That one such notorious journalist has recently been appointed to the staff of a UK Catholic university despite his reputation for malicious gossip is worrying.

    ReplyDelete